Ocean City Building Inspection
Deck, Guardrails & Stair Safety Inspection Checklist
As spring and summer approaches the Town of Ocean City is urging all owners of any residential and commercial structures to take time to inspect all balconies, decks, guardrails, and stairs for potential safety hazards. Poor maintenance is the number one reason for structure failure and injury. Proper inspections can help prevent hazards associated with deck collapse; hazards from a fall and guardrail failure just to name a few. Listed below is a simple inspection checklist that will help in evaluating your structure.
Deck or Balcony:
- Split or rotting wood
- Deteriorated fasteners, screws, nails, bolts, etc.
- Poor end support of the balcony deck, joist or girders
- Excessive movement of the balcony or deck
- Swaying or unstable
- Loose, missing or rusted anchors, joist hangers, nails or screws
- Damaged or decayed support beams, posts or decking
- Inspect connection to building or structure
Guardrails and Stairs:
- Missing, deteriorated or loose railing, ornamental pickets, top and bottom rails
- Rusted or deteriorated fasteners, screws, bolts and nails etc.
- Wobbly handrails or guardrails
- Loose or deteriorated guardrail support post
- Level and secure landings both top and bottom of all stairs
- Deteriorated, loose or uneven treads
- Tread nosing cracked or badly worn
- Nails protruding from lumber
For more information, please contact the office of Building Inspection at (410-289-8855).
If after your inspection, should you have any reason to believe your deck is unsafe or in need of repair, please contact this office or call a qualified licensed general contractor for further evaluation and repairs.