A PARTNERSHIP FOR A SAFE FAMILY VACATION
The Town of Ocean City working in partnership with Ocean City merchants has teamed up to continue the tradition of a safe, family atmosphere on Ocean City’s boardwalk. By keeping the community stakeholders informed, a working relationship can be cultivated which continues to allow a safe environment for millions of visitors who annually enjoy
Ocean City’s famous Promenade.
THE NOISE ORDINANCE
Any person playing a musical instrument or operating a sound amplification device that can be heard at a distance of 30 feet (roughly the width of the boardwalk) or greater is in violation of the Noise Ordinance and is subject to a penalty of three months in jail and/or a $500 fine. Any person who can be heard singing, yelling, hooting, hollering or whistling at a distance of 50 feet are subject to a penalty of three months in jail and/or a $500 fine.
Because Ocean City’s boardwalk is such a great attraction, a host of performers materialize daily to put on shows, create balloon sculptures, draw caricatures, or just strum a guitar. The ordinances that strictly regulate such performances do not limit the performer’s ability to provide entertainment, but are designed to provide for a safe and enjoyable experience for visitors. Street Performers cannot set up in an area that hampers visitors’ ability to enter and exit stores, block pedestrian or vehicle traffic, or disturb the peace and quiet of the community.
· Street Performers are no longer required to register at City Hall. A Street Performer Permit is no longer required.
· Street Performers are not vetted by the Town of Ocean City
· Street Performers can only perform within the extended boundaries east of the street ends and cannot drift north or south of the street end area (See visual representation on back)
· Only portable chairs or tables can be used.
· Performers cannot perform within 10 feet of
o Business entrances or exits
o The Tram Lane
· Performers are prohibited from blocking
o Pedestrian and vehicle traffic
o Stairways to the Beach
o Entrance to comfort stations
o The concrete pads on the east side of the boardwalk
o Public Telephones
o Trash receptacles
· Performances must be in compliance with the Noise Ordinance
(30’ Amplification, Musical Instruments / 50’ Singing)
· Connecting to a municipal electrical outlet is not allowed
· Connecting to a private electrical outlet is only allowed with owner’s permission
· The use of nudity, pornographic materials or obscenity in any display or performance is prohibited
· Performers shall not distribute any advertising or promotional material which promotes an activity, product or service other than that which the peddler, solicitor, hawker or street performer is engaged
· The use of animals (other than for legitimate ADA purposes), fire or other hazardous materials in a display or performance is prohibited
· The North Division Street boardwalk area (Boardwalk Arch) has been designated a no street performer area
COMMERCE ON THE BOARDWALK
The sale of products on the boardwalk is strictly prohibited except for Expressive Material that have been created, written or composed by the person who sell rents or exchanges them for a donation.
STREET PERFORMERS DESIGNATED LOCATIONS
STREET PERFORMERS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE NORTH DIVISION STREET AREA
Street Performers can only perform within the extended boundaries
east of the street ends and cannot drift north or south of the street end area