(August 28, 2013) – The Ocean City Police Department is excited to welcome the many visitors to Ocean City for the upcoming Labor Day weekend. OCPD is dedicated to ensuring the safety of our residents and visitors during the holiday weekend and throughout the entire year. To ensure the public’s safety, OCPD would like to offer some safety tips that will help make everyone’s Labor Day weekend enjoyable in Ocean City.
Citizens should be reminded that:
- If you are drinking alcohol, use a designated driver. There are many options available to citizens including the municipal bus and the many local taxi companies.
- Walk Smart! If you are crossing the street, use a marked crosswalk and cross only when the signal indicates that it is safe to do so.
- Do not text while driving. Stay alert and focused on the road and expect heavy traffic for the holiday weekend.
- Keep your feet in the sand until the lifeguard’s in the stand! Check in with the lifeguard near you and ask about current conditions.
- Be courteous to your neighbor and keep the noise down. There is a 50-foot rule when it comes to noise in Ocean City. Those that can be heard from 50 feet away, run the risk of violating our noise ordinance.
- Always lock door of your home/hotel and vehicle! The number one cause for theft is leaving doors and windows unlocked.
- Before heading to the beach, leave your valuables in a safe place. Never leave your belongings unattended at the beach, including when you take a quick swim in the ocean.
- If you see suspicious or illegal activity, never hesitate to call OCPD at 410-723-6610.
OCPD wishes residents and visitors a fun and safe holiday weekend. Remember to soak up the sun, have a ball in the bay and BE SAFE this weekend in wonderful Ocean City, Maryland!