Your home is your most valuable assets and protecting it with the following crime prevention tips is an inexpensive way to maintain value and safety. In addition to protecting your home, the Ocean City Police Department asks you to be alert and call if you see any suspicious people or activities in your neighborhood.
As the holiday season approaches, it is important to continue following simple crime prevention techniques that will protect you and your property from being a victim of a crime.
- Remember to lock all doors and windows to your home and vehicle
- Keep inside and outside of your home well lit. Lighting is an inexpensive crime prevention strategy and often deters criminals, so keep your lights on.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed below windows
- Never post vacation or travel plans on social media sites, Facebook, Twitter etc. Instead, share your plans with a trusted neighbor, family member or friends who will keep an eye on your property while you are away.
The Ocean City Police Department also encourages citizens to become an active member of an Ocean City Neighborhood Watch Association. Currently,OceanCityboasts eight Neighborhood Watch Associations, including Caine Woods, Caine Keys II, Bayshore Drive, the Boardwalk Association, Edgewater Avenue, Little Salisbury, Montego Bay and Sundowner Park. These Neighborhood Watch groups have been instrumental in reducing crime and keeping citizens informed of various public safety issues.
If you plan on leaving the area for any extended period of time, the Ocean City Police Department encourages residents to take advantage of the “Residential Security Check Program.” This free program is available to all Ocean City residents whether you own or rent, live in a condominium or single-family home.
- To participate in this program, call the OCPD Public Affairs Office at 410-723-6663. Registration may also be done online by visiting the OCPD website at: http://oceancitymd.gov/Police/securitycheck.html
The OCPD knows a well-informed citizen and a proactive community is the best form of crime prevention. Please join the team to keepOceanCitya safe and fun place to live, work and visit.