Man Awaiting Trial for 6 Ocean City Burglaries Arrested for Stealing a Car


Alexander George Ellis

Alexander George Ellis

On January 12, at approximately 5:30 a.m. Ocean City police responded to the area of Beachcomber Lane, in reference to a motor vehicle theft. When officers arrived in the area, they observed a vehicle matching the description of the stolen car, parked near the victim’s residence with the engine running and a person sitting in the driver’s seat.

As officers attempted to approach the stolen car, the driver, who was later identified as Alexander George Ellis, 20, of Ocean City, fled from the vehicle and jumped into the bay.  Ellis was located, pulled from the water by officers and placed under arrest.

During the investigation, officers located several items in the vehicle that did not belong to the owner of the car.  The investigation revealed that Ellis had stolen several items out of other vehicles from at least three victims who lived in the area. 

As a precaution, Ellis was seen by Ocean City Paramedics and transported to Atlantic General Hospital where he was treated and later released to police.  Ellis was charged with seven counts of thefts, including;

  •  Theft:  $1,000 to under $10,000.
  • Theft:  Less than $100.00.
  • Theft Scheme:  $1000 to under $10,000.
  • Theft/Rogue and Vagabond .

 In addition, Ellis was charged with the following traffic charges related to the incident;

  • Attempt by driver to elude uniformed police by fleeing on foot.
  • Attempt by driver to elude uniformed police by means other than failing to stop and fleeing on foot.
  • Driving vehicle without the owner’s consent with intent to deprive owner.
  • Taking vehicle without the owner’s consent with intent to deprive owner.
  • Driving without license.

Ellis was seen by an Ocean City District Court Commissioner and was held on $25,000 bond.  On January 3, 2013, Ellis was charged by Ocean City police in connection with six residential burglaries that had occurred last spring and was awaiting trial after being released from custody on a $50,000 unsecured bond.