On the morning of October 31, 2011, Ocean City Police received information from

Dennis John Cross

Dennis John Cross

Maryland State Police that a wanted person who was possibly armed, may be in or heading to Ocean City.  A look out was broadcast and OCPD investigators began searching for the suspect. 

The suspect, identified as Dennis John Cross, 19, of Stockton, MD, had outstanding arrest warrants from the Worcester and Wicomico County Sheriff’s Offices.  During the investigation police received information from the Chincoteague Police Department that Cross was the primary suspect involved in the theft of a shotgun and should be considered armed and dangerous.

Based on all the information developed during the investigation, OCPD detectives and patrol officers began an extensive search of the 8th Street area. At approximately 4 p.m. police discovered Cross had barricaded himself under the decking of a wheel chair ramp attached to the “Beach Bum” apartments (203 9th Street).

OCPD uniformed and tactical officers responded to the scene and established a safety perimeter.  OCPD tactical officers took Cross into custody without incident.

At the time of Cross’ arrest police discovered he was in possession of a modified shotgun, which was loaded.  Cross was also in possession of an amount of prescription narcotics.  During the standoff with police, officers observed Cross ingesting an unknown quantity of pills. He was transported to Atlantic General Hospitalas a precaution.

This case is still under investigation and additional charges are pending. Cross has been charged by the OCPD with the following:

  • Theft under $1,000
  • Possession of a Schedule III CDS
  • Possession of a Schedule II CDS
  • Possession of Schedule I CDS
  • Possession of CDS Paraphernalia
  • Cross was also served with two outstanding arrest warrants from Worceste and Wicomico County Sheriff’s Offices.

Cross was seen by an Ocean City District Court Commissioner and was held on $10,000 for each Arrest Warrant and $25,000 for the charges from the Ocean City Police.