Beach Patrol Employment
Once registered for a specific testing date and location you will receive additional correspondence through the E-Mail address you supply.
There are Pre-Employment Physical Skills Evaluations scheduled in Ocean City, Maryland each August for the following season’s Surf Rescue Academies that take place in May and June. Registration for the following season’s Pre-Employment Physical Skills Evaluations will be available following the final testing for the current season. If interested please check the OCBP website for exact times and locations and register on-line.
Tentative dates to test for the 2018 season:
August 5, 2017 (Saturday)
August 9, 2017 (Wednesday)
August 26, 2017 (Saturday)
September 2, 2017 (Saturday)
Anyone seeking employment as a Surf Rescue Technician with the Ocean City, Maryland Beach Patrol, must successfully complete all phases of the pre-employment physical skills evaluation before being appointed to Surf Rescue Training Academy.
- Provide Identification with proof of age.
- Complete a 400m run in 75 seconds or less (off-site) or a 300m soft sand sprint in 65 seconds or less.
- Complete a 500m swim (off-site) or a 400m ocean swim in 10 minutes or less.
- Complete a series of simulated rescues with and without the aid of a rescue buoy.
- Complete a deep-water physical skill evaluation of holds and releases.
- Complete a victim transport training session and victim removal test.
- Complete a tower transport training session and a tower transport test.
- Complete a buoy preparation training session and mock buoy-runs
- Complete a 125m running sprint with rescue buoy in at least 25sec (off-site).
- Complete a rescue medley of 150m run, 100m swim through the surf and 150m return run (on-site)
- Complete a candidate questionnaire and actively participate in an informational interview with beach patrol staff.