SPECIAL EVENT ZONE
- 29th Annual Cruisin’ OC – SPECIAL EVENT ZONE – May 14-19, 2019 – Speeds Reduced to 30mph
In April 2018, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan signed the “Special Event Zone” bill into law allowing authorities in Worcester County to designate Special Event Zones during large events, particularly motor events. The new legislation allows officials to lower speed limits in the Special Event Zone. Similar to a Construction Zone, violators will face increased fines if speeding in a Special Event Zone.
Special Event Zones are in place during motor events in Ocean City. Signage on roadways will indicate where those Zones are in effect. Citizens are urged to drive with caution in Special Event Zones and be cognizant of speed.
Thousands of car enthusiasts are expected in Ocean City for the event and citizens should expect to see a large police presence. Officers from allied agencies will be assisting the Ocean City Police Department (OCPD), including the Maryland State Police, Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, Maryland Transportation Authority, and Maryland Natural Resources Police.
Officers will be strictly enforcing all traffic laws. Additionally, pedestrians are urged to Walk Smart! and always use crosswalks when crossing roadways. Wait for the signal to change and be sure that drivers see you while crossing.
Trailers and oversized vehicles may not be parked on Baltimore Avenue at any time. Parking a trailer or oversized vehicle on any street or paved public lot without a permit is prohibited between May 1 and October 31. Permits are available to registered participants of Cruisin’ Ocean City, OC BikeFest, and Endless Summer Cruisin’ for a fee of $50 from the event organizer.
Limited trailer parking is available at the 100th Street gravel parking lot for a small daily fee. Permits can be purchased at the pay station on-site. During Cruisin’ Ocean City, OC BikeFest, and Endless Summer Cruisin’, limited free trailer parking will be available at the West Ocean City Park & Ride beginning at 12 noon on the Friday prior to the event until 12 noon on the Monday following the event.
For additional information about the trailer ordinance, please visit https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/departments/city-clerk/trailer-ordinance/.
OTHER COMMON VIOLATIONS SEEN DURING MOTOR EVENTS
- Speeding and aggressive driving behaviors will be strictly enforced. Speeding and aggressive driving can quickly lead to serious motor vehicle collisions which is why our officers take this behavior very seriously.
- Spinning tires and burnouts are strictly prohibited. A driver can easily lose control of a vehicle during a burnout, presenting a serious risk to others nearby.
- Inciting or encouraging others to commit a traffic violation or crime is also prohibited. Citizens may not request, encourage or direct another to break the law, such as inciting burnouts, reckless driving or disorderly conduct.
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not tolerated by our officers.
- Disorderly conduct, or willfully acting in a manner that disturbs the public peace, is prohibited. Officers will enforce laws concerning disorderly conduct in order to protect the quality of life of our citizens and ensure a peaceful environment.
- Blocking sidewalks and public roadways is prohibited. Citizens may not sit along sidewalks or congregate in the roadway in a manner to prevent others from easily passing. Open container and public consumption of alcohol are also prohibited.
- The Town of Ocean City Noise Ordinance states that it is unlawful for any person to make, cause or continue any loud, unnecessary, unnatural or unusual noise, or any noise which annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace and safety of others at any time, day or night.
- No disruptive noises may be made between 12 midnight and 7 a.m. in such a manner as to be heard at a distance of 50 feet from the building or structure where it originates. This includes loud noise from a vehicle.
- The use of a megaphone without a permit from the Mayor and City Council of Ocean City is prohibited.