*The following news release is distributed by the Ocean City Police Department on behalf of Special Olympics Maryland.
‘Flame of Hope’ Arrives in Worcester County!
Worcester County Law Enforcement Officer, Friends, and Supporters Participate in Statewide Torch Run Relay as a Show of Support for the Special Olympics Maryland Summer Games
Law Enforcement officers representing ALL of Worcester County will be on the run on Monday, June 4th at 8:00am, taking part in the annual Law Enforcement Torch Run Relay for Special Olympics Maryland. Their mission: to escort and protect the Special Olympics ‘Flame of Hope’ as it makes its way toward the opening of the Summer Games at Towson University, June 8-10.
The Maryland Torch Run is a fundraising movement that began in 1986 with a handful of officers raising $5,000, and has grown into a true year-round effort that involves thousands of officers and sponsors raising millions annually. Since its inception, those involved with the Torch Run have taken very seriously their role as “Guardians of the Flame”, and the relay is an important and celebrated part of every Special Olympics competition. Without the funds raised by those dedicated to the Torch Run efforts across this state, and across the world, Special Olympics would not be able to provide the inspiring opportunities that they do for our incredible athletes!
The schedule for Ocean City/Worcester County’s portion of the Torch Run is as follows (all times are approximate and subject to change):
Monday, June 4, 2018
- 8:00 – 8:30am (NEW) Pre-Event Ceremonies, The Grand Hotel, 21st St. and Boardwalk, OC
- 8:30am Torch Run Relay Begins. Run will proceed from 21st Street to N. Division Street.
- 9:00 – 9:15am Run Concludes at N. Division Street with Photo Opportunity and Refreshment. We will load bus to proceed to West Ocean City, for the second leg of the Relay.
- 9:30 – 9:45am (NEW) Meet at OCFD Station 5, Keyser Point Rd., West OC
- 10:00am Begin Second Leg to Ocean City Elementary School
- 10:15-10:30am Conclude Second Leg at Ocean City Elementary (approx. 1/2 mile run)
- 10:45am Load Bus for Berlin, for Third Leg of the Relay
- 11:00am (NEW) Arrive at Worcester County Athletic Complex to Begin Berlin Run (Approx. 1 mile run)
- 11:15am Begin Third Leg, Berlin Run, With Stops at Worcester Prep and Buckingham Elementary School. Conclude at Berlin Fire Station w/ Food and Refreshment.
- 11:45-12:00pm Event Concludes
This local portion of the Torch Run Relay is part of a much larger effort. Statewide, the Maryland Torch Run Relay consists of four different legs – Eastern, Western, Central and Southern – and throughout the entire week, thousands of Torch Run volunteers will cover hundreds of miles, eventually converging on Towson where the individual flames will be united in the Final Leg Ceremony and then officers from around the state will travel the final 2.5 miles to the Opening Ceremony at Towson University. It is there that the Flame is handed off to the Special Olympics athletes who have the honor of taking the final lap with the torch and then lighting the cauldron and officially declaring the 2018 SOMD Summer Games open.
*PLEASE consider participating in the Eastern Leg of the Torch Run Relay as shown above. YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A “RUNNER!” Each leg will have support vehicles and/or buses so you can run as much OR as little as you want. You may also ride your BICYCLE if you wish! The actual Torch Run Relay is an awareness campaign to highlight our UNITED law enforcement efforts to benefit Special Olympics and create excitement for the Special Olympics Maryland Summer Games each year. 2018 Torch Run t-shirts should be worn for this event and may be purchased in advance or purchased the morning of the event for $15.
Our local Torch Run Leg is always VERY WELL attended and is by far the most beautiful leg of the states Torch Run relay, incorporating the refreshing Ocean City boardwalk, our awesome schools and the beauty and charm of historic downtown Berlin, Maryland. I hope to see you at our Torch Run leg this year!!! Again, you DO NOT have to be a runner…we just ask that you be a supporter! GIVE MARYLAND SPECIAL OLYMPIC ATHLETES THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE AND “GO FOR THE GOLD!”
Torch Run Relay Week leading up to the Special Olympics Maryland Summer Games at Towson University is June 8-10, 2018!