Do I need a permit for a floating dock? A boatlift? A davit? Replacement bulkhead? Pier? PWC lift?

Yes, any new construction over the water requires a permit and must be presented to the BOPW for approval. The factors considered are: environmental impact, navigable waterway and TOC code.

Do I need a permit to replace my decking boards on my pier or dock?

Yes, if it is going in the exact same location with no change to the footprint, ONLY a building permit is required.

What if I want to replace an existing boatlift, pier etc?

If there is documented evidence of work requested being previously permitted in our online records, ONLY a building permit is required for replacement IN-KIND.

Can I do the work myself for do I have to hire a contractor?

The TOC requires a licensed Marine Contractor through the State of Maryland to do marine construction. Minor repairs are at the discretion of the Building Department. View Marine Contractors

Is this process complicated?

Yes and No. A list of approved marine contractors and permit processers are listed on this site. Leaving the process to a professional is worthwhile in that they will not take on a job/case without consideration for approval from the BOPW. Yes, a homeowner may submit their own applications, but should be prepared to provide accurate site plans, measurements and contact the Maryland Department of the Environment directly prior to application.

How expensive is this process?

Case fees are $138 for a Minor Case and $287 for a Major Case. The Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) fees are additional and that application must be applied for in advance and separately. https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/water/pages/index.aspx

How long does this process take?

This may vary from 1 – 6 months. Factors include the backlog with the MDE and contractor availability. Once required documents are received one month prior to the meeting date, the Case is then heard and decided on. Once approved, a building permit may then be applied for.

Does the BOPW take into consideration if my view is obstructed?

No, view is not one of the criteria for the approval of a Case.

Who regulates the size of a boat in canal or slip?

All marine craft are to adhere to the same navigable requirements as construction. View Boat 20% letter

What is the square footage allowed for piers, floats etc.?

200 total square feet is the maximum allowed.

Who is responsible for the bulkhead in my community?

If you have an individually deeded slip, the property owner is responsible for the necessary maintenance. If a property owner lives in a community that has shared common area, the HOA is typically responsible for the upkeep of the bulkhead.

Where can I locate previous records of my property?

The TOC has an online database listing previous permits and other records. Search under Building Permits & Plans and then by street: http://weblink.ocgov.org/Weblink/0/fol/167517/Row1.aspx

Are the Hearings open to the Public?

Yes, meetings are held the second Thursday of every month at 2:00 PM in City Hall.

Is there more specific information I can refer to without having to read through the TOC Code?