The Town of Ocean City swells to one of Maryland’s largest cities during the summer months with a population that changes each and every weekend. Through the three E’s of safety – engineering, education and enforcement, SHA and partner organizations are working together to keep Ocean City streets safe. Coastal Highway (MD 528) is a major highway that carries six lanes of traffic – more cars, more feet, more bicycles in a single summer month than it does during all the nine months of fall, winter and spring.
- Stop for all pedestrians in crosswalks – this is Maryland law.
- Slow down – watch for pedestrians and yield to pedestrians when turning.
- Keep your eyes on the road. It’s illegal to text and use hand held devices while driving.
- Stay alert and avoid all distractions.
- Share the road with bicycles and give three feet of space when passing.