The mission of the Ocean City Beach Patrol is to provide for the safety and well-being of the beach patrons of the Town of Ocean City, Maryland, who participate in beach and ocean-related activities. This mission includes educating the public, preventing potential accidents, and intervening when necessary and appropriate, both on the beach and in the adjacent Atlantic Ocean waters. The Patrol intends to fulfill its mission by:
- Recruiting the most highly qualified candidates.
- Employing qualified individuals for administrative and educational positions, competent surf rescue technicians, and public-minded surfing beach facilitators.
- Training personnel with the most current information, technology and equipment.
- Outfitting personnel with current, well-maintained, and appropriate equipment.
- Upholding the highest standards of professionalism; to present knowledgeable, capable, and reliable Surf Rescue Technicians to the general public.
The Ocean City Beach Patrol is an organization of men and women dedicated to ocean rescue and beach safety along the shoreline of Ocean City, MD. We invite you to learn more about us by clicking on the Know your Beach Patrol to the left. If you are someone who loves the ocean and would like to become a part of our organization, be sure to check out our opportunities for Employment in the “Employment” link to the left..
The Ocean City Beach Patrol starts guarding the 10 miles of beach the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. The beaches are guarded seven days a week through Sunfest weekend, which is usually the third weekend following Labor Day in September. This year our last day of guarding is Sunday, September 23rd.
The beach patrol is on duty every day from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. At 5:25 p.m., you will see the lifeguards signaling everyone out of the ocean. This is our way of letting the beach-goers know we are going off duty and they should cease all water-related activities until 10 a.m. the next day when lifeguards are back on duty.
We continue our efforts to educate the public, warning them of the dangers of swimming in unguarded waters, through our weekly Sunday Afternoon Beach Safety Presentations along the entire OC Coast.
Remember our saying: “Keep Your Feet in the Sand until the Lifeguard’s in the Stand.” This is a reminder to never go in the ocean when the beach patrol is not on duty.