BEACH PATROL EMPLOYMENT
The following link goes to an on-line interview with Captain Arbin, conducted by Steven Brodsky for his column Entertainment, Culture and More. This interview is one of the most comprehensive written about the Ocean City Beach Patrol and gives a real inside look at what it takes to become a Surf Rescue Technician and what types of training each member of the Patrol receives. If you have ever wondered what it takes to earn the honor of guarding your family then this article can help. http://delcoculturevultures.com/entertainment-culture-and-more/
Once registered for a specific testing date and location you will receive a “Pop-Up” confirmation and you will receive additional correspondence through the E-Mail address you supply as your testing date gets closer.
February 24, 2019 (Sunday) – Salisbury University, Salisbury, Maryland
March 2, 2019 (Saturday) – University of Maryland, College Park
March 16, 2019 (Saturday) – York College, York, Pennsylvania
April 28, 2019 (Sunday) – Ocean Pines Sports Core Pool, Maryland
June 1, 2019 (Saturday) – Ocean City, Maryland
Pre-Employment Physical Skills Evaluation (testing) for the 2019 Season
- February 24, 2019 (Sunday)- Salisbury University, Salisbury, Maryland (for 2019) Registration and Check-in 10:00 – 10:50
- March 2, 2019 (Saturday) – York College, York, Pennsylvania (for 2019) Registration and Check-in 10:00 – 10:50
- March 16, 2019 (Sunday) – University of Maryland, College Park (for 2019) Registration and Check-in 10:00 – 10:50
- April 28, 2019 (Sunday), Ocean Pines Sports Core Pool, Maryland (for 2019) Registration and Check-in 10:00 – 10:50
- June 1, 2019 (Saturday), Ocean City, Maryland (for 2019) Registration and Check-in 9:00 – 9:50
There are Pre-Employment Physical Skills Evaluations scheduled in Ocean City, Maryland each August for the following season’s Surf Rescue Academies that take place in May and June. Registration for the following season’s Pre-Employment Physical Skills Evaluations will be available following the final testing for the current season. If interested please check the OCBP website for exact times and locations and register on-line.
Anyone seeking employment as a Surf Rescue Technician with the Ocean City, Maryland Beach Patrol, must successfully complete all phases of the pre-employment physical skills evaluation before being appointed to Surf Rescue Training Academy.
- Provide Identification with proof of age.
- Complete a 400m run in 75 seconds or less (off-site) or a 300m soft sand sprint in 65 seconds or less.
- Complete a 500m swim (off-site) or a 400m ocean swim in 10 minutes or less.
- Complete a series of simulated rescues with and without the aid of a rescue buoy.
- Complete a deep-water physical skill evaluation of holds and releases.
- Complete a victim transport training session and victim removal test.
- Complete a tower transport training session and a tower transport test.
- Complete a buoy preparation training session and mock buoy-runs
- Complete a 125m running sprint with rescue buoy in at least 25sec (off-site).
- Complete a rescue medley of 150m run, 100m swim through the surf and 150m return run (on-site)
- Complete a candidate questionnaire and actively participate in an informational interview with beach patrol staff.