How many officers are in the Department?

We currently have 120 sworn, full-time officers.

How many seasonal personnel do you hire?

We normally hire around 100 seasonal personnel between seasonal police officers and seasonal public safety aides.

How do you recruit your officers?

Most of our full-time officers are former seasonal officers. We are fortunate in that our seasonal program allows us to watch an officer perform before deciding if they would be an acceptable full-time officer. We recruit our seasonal officers from regional colleges that offer criminal justice programs. In addition, we have started holding zoom informational sessions to reach a larger pool of applicants.

What kind of training does a police officer go through?

Our full-time police officers attend the Eastern Shore Criminal Justice Academy in Salisbury, Maryland. The officers receive 960 hours of training in six months. Once the academy is completed, the officer is considered a police officer trainee and will then be partnered with a Field Training Officer for a structured training program. The Field Training Officer will make sure that the officer a capable of handling his day-to-day duties with efficiency and professionalism. All police officer trainees officers remain on probation for a period of one year after police academy graduation.

What kind of training do the seasonal officers get?

The seasonal police officers receive 250+ hours of training, including 40 hours of firearms training. They are trained on how to handle the many incidents they will face during the summer. Seasonal Police Officers also ride with a field training officer who will make certain that the seasonal officer is fully capable of patrolling on his own within the scope of his/her duties.

Where is the police station?

Police Headquarters is located in the Public Safety Building at 6501 Coastal Highway, Ocean City, MD 21842. There is a boardwalk substation located at Worcester Street and the boardwalk.

How can I contact an individual officer?

Every employee of the police department has a voicemail within the agency telephone system. You may call 410-723- 6610 to ask for the officer’s extension number, or dial the voice mail system directly at 723-6640. It is important to remember that the officer may be on his or her days off and may not return your call for several days.

Who do I call if I think my neighbor is involved in criminal activity?

It depends on what the activity is and whether it is going on at the time you are calling. If it is a crime that is in progress, you should be calling 911. If it is a minor, ongoing situation like a group of kids that have been congregating on a street corner or neighbors that are letting their dog run loose, you can call Ocean City Police Communications at 410-723-6600. The police dispatcher will let the sector car know of the problem. If the crime is serious, you can speak with a detective in the Criminal Investigation Division by calling 410-723-6604. If your concern is about drug-related activity, you can reach the Narcotics Section at 410-723-6607.

Why won't the police officer return my call?

This may happen for several reasons. Our officers work four days on and then are off duty for three days. Not every call can be returned that same day, however, the officer should return your call promptly. If you are unsuccessful in reaching an officer, you may call the general information number, 410-723-6610, to find out who the officer’s supervisor is, so you can let them know that you have been unable to get in touch with that officer.

How do I make a complaint against an officer?

Most disagreements involving officers can be worked out by discussing the problem with the officer’s supervisor. If you feel it is necessary to lodge a formal complaint, you may pick up a general complaint form at the front desk at the Public Safety Building. Once the form is returned, an investigation into the matter will be initiated. If the complaint is alleging brutality, the form must be notarized before being returned. You will be notified of the outcome of the investigation.

Can I ride along with an officer on patrol?

This program is currently under review, for further information or to make a ride-along request contact the OCPD Public Affairs Office at 410-723-6665.

Does the Department have a lost and found?

The Property Section in the Public Safety Building stores recovered property temporarily. If you have had something stolen, or simply lost personal belongings such as a wallet, this would be a good place to start. You can reach them by dialing 410-723-6611.

Lost keys and glasses are turned into the front desk personnel of the Public Safety Building. You can reach them by dialing 410-723-6610.

Can my child pet a police dog or horse?

Under normal circumstances, yes. ALWAYS ask the officer first, however.

What is the Citizen's Police Academy?

The Citizen’s Police Academy is a 10-week class that allows the citizen to get an up-close, in-depth look at how the police department operates. The student learns about how the many different specialty units work, and how police officers are trained to handle different events. Students will learn about criminal investigation, traffic enforcement, evidence collection, accident investigation, firearms, and much more. To find out more about the Academy, you can contact the Deputy Communications Manager Ashley Miller at 410-520-5395.